Innovative landscape architect Wolfgang Oehme, who included more than a million ornamental grasses in his designs, considered Molinias to be some of the very best performers of them all. Certainly the most kinetically exciting grass, Molinia’s dense arching tufts of deep green foliage offer sturdy stems holding delicate panicles that eventually age to a straw color and last for months. To heighten the drama, consider providing plenty of room and a dark background.
Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Karl Foerster’ (G-0486)
PREORDER FOR APRIL 2023
See-through, delicate plumes on upright and arching stems energetically leap skybound from a green, 2-½ ft. tall foliar pedestal. Bearing the name of the legendary German nurseryman Karl Foerster, this Molinia’s gossamerlike inflorescences first emerge suffused in purply raisin shades, and by fall gilded highlights set the lofty blooms aglow, further heightening the butter yellow hues of the stalks and leaves below.
Blooms June – October
Size: 6' 0" – 7' 0" high x 3' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 4.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Bergfreund’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Cordoba’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Skyracer’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Staefa’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Heidebraut’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Moorflamme’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Strahlenquelle’
- Molinia caerulea ‘Dauerstrahl’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Edith Dudszus’
- Molinia caerulea ‘Moorhexe’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Purple Infusion’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Transparent’
- Molinia caerulea var. caerulea ‘Variegata’
- Molinia litoralis ‘Windspiel’