Our Panicums are warm season prairie grasses native to North America. Resistant to heat, drought and extreme cold, Switch Grass hosts a cloud of inflorescences—a mystifying hologram of tiny red seeds that mature to black in late summer. If grown in drifts and not cut back until early spring, Panicums promise a lively winter show. After several frosty nights, they stiffen and adopt the warm glowing color and soft rustling sound of wheat.
PREORDER FOR OCTOBER 2023
Conjuring early morning summer skies, a thick light-catching haze of hushed pink inflorescences hovers just above broad bluish green blades that forge a compact upstanding foundation. This tailored grass earns its keep with rosy-gilded fall color, persistent bird-friendly seed heads and a versatile guise that abides drought, varied soil types, coastal conditions and pollution. Discovered at North Carolina’s Hoffman Nursery, ‘Summer Sunrise’ adds pizazz to mixed borders, rain gardens, ecological plantings and cut arrangements.
Size: 3-1/3' – 4-1/2' high x 18" – 2' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 4.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Panicum amarum ‘Dewey Blue’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Cape Breeze’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Cloud Nine’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Heavy Metal’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Heiliger Hain’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Northwind’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Prairie Sky’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Purple Tears’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Rehbraun’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Rotstrahlbusch’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Ruby Ribbons’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Shenandoah’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Thundercloud’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Trailblazer’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Warrior’