Our Panicums are warm season prairie grasses native to North America. Resistant to heat, drought and extreme cold, Switch Grass hosts a cloud of inflorescences—a mystifying hologram of tiny red seeds that mature to black in late summer. If grown in drifts and not cut back until early spring, Panicums promise a lively winter show. After several frosty nights, they stiffen and adopt the warm glowing color and soft rustling sound of wheat.
The mighty brainchild of Michigan nurseryman Gary Trucks, this easy-care Panicum ‘Cloud Nine’ and Panicum ‘Northwind’ hybrid soars to lofty heights. Crowned by misty pinkish tan panicles, steadfast broad blue-green blades compose an upright and slightly arching, 8 ft. profile that swaggers a magnificent bearing even in winter, remaining tall through wind, heavy rain and snow. ‘Thundercloud’s handsome bird-friendly foliage and open blooms can grace a vase, flank a mixed border, serve as a screen, or stand-alone as a stately specimen in a stylized meadow. (pp#20,665)
Size: 7' 0" – 8' 0" high x 3' 0" – 4' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 4.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Panicum amarum ‘Dewey Blue’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Cape Breeze’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Cloud Nine’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Heavy Metal’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Heiliger Hain’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Northwind’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Prairie Sky’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Purple Tears’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Rehbraun’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Rotstrahlbusch’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Ruby Ribbons’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Shenandoah’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Trailblazer’
- Panicum virgatum ‘Warrior’