Derived from the Italian primaverola, the name of this genus pays homage to the way its often early blossoms welcome spring. Many of the more than 400 species are at home in the moist climates of England, New Zealand and the Pacific Coast. The selections we offer are cold-hardy, yet will need ample water in warmer locales. Lovely planted en masse, Primroses are ideal for woodland gardens, damp borders, by a pond or streamside.
Touted as the longest blooming of the species, ‘Francesca’s unique signature is her plentiful ruffled celadon-green flowers with glowing yellow eyes. Poised on erect stems well above a textural deep green rosette, the exquisite floral display wafts a sweet perfume plus lasts for several weeks in cut arrangements. This trim compact Primula makes a steadfast semievergreen addition to containers, courtyards and border edges, while relishing bright shade, adequate moisture and chums like Brunnera ‘Mr. Morse’ or Corydalis ‘Porcelain Blue’.
Size: 12" – 14" high x 12" wide.
Hardy to zone 5.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Primula elatior ‘Victorian Gold Lace Black’
- Primula beesiana
- Primula ‘Blue Sapphire’
- Primula x bulleesiana
- Primula bulleyana
- Primula capitata ssp. mooreana
- Primula capitata ‘Salvana’
- Primula cockburniana
- Primula denticulata var. Alba
- Primula denticulata ‘Blue Selection’
- Primula ‘Dunbeg’
- Primula elatior x ‘Silver Lace Purple’
- Primula elatior ‘Gold Lace’
- Primula elatior ‘Victoriana Gold Lace Red’
- Primula elatior ‘Victorian Silver Lace Black’
- Primula ‘Elizabeth Killelay’
- Primula florindae ‘’
- Primula marginata ‘Mauve Mist’
- Primula x polyantha ‘Dawn Ansell’
- Primula polyneura
- Primula rosea ‘Gigas’
- Primula ‘Sue Jervis’
- Primula vialii
- Primula vulgaris ssp subthorpii ‘’
- Primula vulgaris ‘Double Lilac’
- Primula vulgaris ‘Sunshine Susie’
- Primula waltonii