This genus deserves its lofty names, which mean “eagle” and “dove,” because its intricate flowers have been said to resemble birds in flight. Beyond the symbolism of the flowers, the finely textured, widely varied species possess a gracefulness that is likely to carry you to heights of enjoyment. Whether trim dwarfs or fancy long-spurred varieties, Columbines are characterized by fern-like 3-lobed leaves. They are best suited for naturalizing in a woodland with dappled light, however the smaller species will thrive in a partially shaded garden bed.
PREORDER FOR SPRING 2024
A shining star of the cut flower trade, ‘Blue Barlow’ prances elaborate, fully double deep violet-blue blossoms—upward-facing, spurless and nearly 2 in. across—on tall lithe stems. Grayish blue-green divided foliage shapes a tailored lacy mound below the plush, long-lasting Dahlia-like inflorescences that everyone adores, especially hummingbirds and butterflies. Ideal for bright dappled recesses, this uniquely beautiful Columbine appreciates well-drained, compost-rich soil and a cutback after the blooms are spent.
Size: 2-1/2' high x 18" wide.
Hardy to zone 3.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Aquilegia atrata
- Aquilegia buergeriana ‘Calimero’
- Aquilegia canadensis ‘Corbett’
- Aquilegia canadensis ‘Pink Lanterns’
- Aquilegia chrysantha ‘Denver Gold’
- Aquilegia chrysantha ‘Yellow Queen’
- Aquilegia flabellata ‘Blue Angel’
- Aquilegia flabellata ‘White Angel’
- Aquilegia ‘Heavenly Blue’
- Aquilegia vulgaris ‘Heidi’
- Aquilegia ‘Kristall’
- Aquilegia olympica
- Aquilegia oxysepala
- Aquilegia rockii
- Aquilegia sibirica
- Aquilegia vulgaris plena ‘Ruby Port’
- Aquilegia vulgaris var. stellata ‘Green Apples’
- Aquilegia vulgaris ‘Leprechaun Gold’
- Aquilegia vulgaris ‘Mellow Yellow’
- Aquilegia vulgaris ‘William Guiness’
- Aquilegia vulgaris ‘Woodside Gold’