Among the most exuberantly blooming plants this side of the Mississippi, Penstemon are part of the enchantment of the West. A member of the Snapdragon family, even cultivated varieties retain a natural air, with dainty, long trumpet flowers and 5 (pent) prominent stamens. Sturdy and easily maintained, species usually range from 1 to 3 ft. tall, and vary in color from white to pink to purple to deep wine-red to blue—one for every sunny spot. Trim after the first bloom to encourage a repeat flowering, and cut back in autumn for strong growth next season.
A tall-standing, bushy Penstemon strictus and Penstemon gloxinioides hybrid that’s full of vigor, ‘Blue Midnight’ entices us with its plushly painted blooms. Ample-sized tubular flowers in deep bluish purple hues display violet-infused, flared petals and white throats darkened by burgundy streaks.
Broad and deep green, the courtly foliage offers a composed foil for the profuse, long-lasting blossoms, while the upper stems transmute red-orange autumnal highlights, extending the colorful show.
Size: 2-1/2' high x 3' 0" wide.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Penstemon ‘Alice Hindley’
- Penstemon ‘Bev Jensen’
- Penstemon ‘Blackbird’
- Penstemon x iapas x ‘Hidalgo’
- Penstemon ‘Dark Towers’
- Penstemon ‘Elizabeth Cozzens’’
- Penstemon ‘Enor’
- Penstemon ‘Firebird (Ruby/Schoenholzeri)’
- Penstemon ‘Garnet’
- Penstemon ‘Geoff Hamilton’
- Penstemon ‘Ghent Purple’
- Penstemon ‘Gilchrist’
- Penstemon gloxinioides ‘White Bedder’
- Penstemon heterophyllus ‘Züriblau’
- Penstemon ‘Hidcote Pink’
- Penstemon ‘King George V’
- Penstemon x x mexicali ‘Pike’s Peak Purple’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Psmyers’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Red Rocks’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Sunburst Amethyst’
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Sunburst Ruby’
- Penstemon ‘Port Wine’
- Penstemon ‘Purple Tiger’
- Penstemon ‘Raven’
- Penstemon ‘Schoenholzeri’
- Penstemon ‘Stapleford Gem’
- Penstemon ‘Thorn’
- Penstemon ‘Violet Kissed’
- Penstemon virgatus ‘Blue Buckle’