Simple and beautiful, Clematis includes over 300 named cultivars and even more wild species than the rose. Our selections offer opulent blossoms, attractive, carefree foliage, and ornamental seed heads, in exchange for a minimum of attention. Use them to cover just about every stump and dead tree, as well as on trellises, arbors, pergolas, walls and tall shrubs. They prefer to be planted slightly deep in cool, well drained soil, with mulch or a ground cover to shade their feet; provide a support and let them climb.
Prized for its sweetly scented, Hyacinth-like flowers, this pretty semiherbaceous perennial was collected by Pére David near Beijing in 1863. Luminous tight-knit clusters of powdery blue-lavender flowers with curled-back petals are borne at both the leaf axils and stem tips. Medium green and good-sized, the serrated foliage and strong stems form an arresting textural mass that emits a pleasant woodsy aroma when autumn arrives.
Spreading by underground rhizomes, Clematis var. davidiana is certain to spark attention as it rambles around Deutzia setchuenensis var. corymbiflora in a mixed grouping.
Blooms late July–September.
Size: 3' 0" high x 0" & spreading wide.
Hardy to zone 5.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Clematis alpina ‘Constance’
- Clematis alpina ‘Jacqueline du Pré’
- Clematis ‘Arabella’
- Clematis armandii ‘Apple Blossom’
- Clematis armandii ‘Snowdrift’
- Clematis ‘Ascotiensis’
- Clematis chiisanensis ‘Lemon Bells’
- Clematis chrysocoma var. sericea
- Clematis ‘Danielle’
- Clematis ‘Doctor Ruppel’
- Clematis durandii
- Clematis ‘Elsa Späth’
- Clematis ‘Fragrant Star (Vancouver™)’
- Clematis ‘Fujimusume’
- Clematis ‘General Sikorski’
- Clematis ‘Gipsy Queen’
- Clematis ‘H. F. Young’
- Clematis ‘Huldine’
- Clematis integrifolia ‘Blue Boy’
- Clematis ‘Kilian Donahue’
- Clematis ‘Lord Neville’
- Clematis macropetala ‘Blue Bird’
- Clematis montana ‘Broughton Star’
- Clematis montana ‘Elizabeth’
- Clematis ‘Morning Mist’
- Clematis ‘Mrs. Robert Brydon’
- Clematis ‘Niobe’
- Clematis ‘Pamiat Serdtsa’
- Clematis ‘Perle d’Azur’
- Clematis ‘Romantika’
- Clematis ‘Rooguchi’
- Clematis tangutica ‘Golden Harvest’
- Clematis terniflora
- Clematis ‘The President’
- Clematis x triternata ‘Rubromarginata’
- Clematis ‘Victoria’
- Clematis viticella ‘Alba Luxurians’
- Clematis viticella ‘Emilia Plater’
- Clematis viticella ‘Kermesina’
- Clematis viticella ‘Polish Spirit’
- Clematis viticella ‘Royal Velours’
- Clematis viticella ‘Venosa Violacea’