Wielded by man since prehistoric times, Poppies have long been associated with sleep and oblivion, and after the First World War, the Flower of Forgetfulness ironically evolved into a symbol for remembrance. Generally distinguished by nodding buds, solitary fleeting flowers gracing long stems, and decorative seed heads, these sun-lovers appreciate a lean, well drained and somewhat dry position.
Lending a decidedly feminine flair to any herbaceous planting, ‘Marlene’ parades layered chiffonlike petals imbued with a sumptuous shade that falls nearly midway between red and purple. Frilly pitch-dark centers and prominent inked markings at the base of each petal heighten the glamour as sturdy upright stems and blue-green feathered leaves provide a cool-hued contrast.
Size: 2-1/2' high x 20" wide.
Hardy to zone 3.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Papaver atlanticum ‘Flore Pleno’
- Papaver orientale ‘Allegro’
- Papaver orientale ‘Beauty of Livermere’
- Papaver orientale ‘Harlem’
- Papaver orientale ‘Mrs Perry’
- Papaver orientale ‘Patty’s Plum’
- Papaver orientale ‘Princess Victoria Louise’
- Papaver orientale ‘Royal Wedding’
- Papaver orientale ‘Snow Goose’
- Papaver orientale ‘Turkenlouis’
- Papaver spicatum