Barrenwort or Bishop’s Hat
Dense and leafy Epimedium is one of our most successful ground covers for the moist woodland setting. New heart-shaped leaves on wiry stems unfurl in spring with a rosy, marbled coloration that fades to green as summer approaches. In autumn, the marbling returns in coral and copper, enduring mild winters.
The tiny, unusual flowers (Bishop’s Hats) are held above the foliage in airy sprays, and resemble miniature Columbines. Durable and long-lived, Epimediums can adapt to drier conditions once established, spreading slowly and steadily. Both flowers and foliage are prized for small arrangements.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Epimedium ‘Amber Queen’
- Epimedium ‘Domino’
- Epimedium x ‘Enchantress’
- Epimedium grandiflorum ‘Koji’
- Epimedium grandiflorum ‘Lilafee’
- Epimedium grandiflorum ‘Purple Pixie’
- Epimedium ‘Mandariin Star’
- Epimedium x perralchicum ‘Frohnleiten’
- Epimedium ‘Pink Elf’
- Epimedium pinnatum ssp. colchicum
- Epimedium x rubrum
- Epimedium stellulatum ‘Wudang Star’
- Epimedium x versicolor ‘Sulphureum’
- Epimedium x warleyense
- Epimedium x warleyense ‘Ellen Willmott’
- Epimedium x warleyense ‘Orange Queen’
- Epimedium x youngianum ‘Merlin’
- Epimedium x youngianum ‘Niveum’
- Epimedium x youngianum ‘Roseum’