We never tire of Aster’s cheerful daisy faces and the profusion of colors and sizes that make up this genus, from 6 ft. giants to tiny dwarf alpines. Our Asters, large and small, are tried and true performers in ordinary garden soil and full sun. Generally late summer bloomers, they provide lots of oomph when other perennials have petered out.
FTD should get to know this perky, rarely seen Aster, and so should you. Buds form early and fool us into thinking they’re about to bloom, but they wait until the plant reaches full height. When it does, a mass of blue-violet on erect, wiry, wine red stems leaves us breathless. Try planting Teucrium f. ‘Azureum’ in front and Molinia ‘Windspiel’ as a backdrop. When flowering ends, we find the stems and seed heads of Aster cordifolius so delightful, we leave them on for winter interest.
Blooms August–early October.
Size: 4' 0" – 5' 0" high x 2' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 4.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Aster asperulus
- Aster ‘Bill’s Big Blue’
- Aster ‘Bridal Veil’
- Aster ‘Cassie’
- Aster ‘Coombe Fishacre’
- Aster cordifolius ‘Avondale’
- Aster cordifolius ‘Chieftain’
- Aster cordifolius ‘Little Carlow’
- Aster divaricatus
- Aster ericoides hyb. ‘Ringdove’
- Aster ericoides ‘Golden Spray’
- Aster ericoides ‘Monte Cassino’
- Aster x frikartii ‘Mönch’
- Aster laevis ‘Bluebird’
- Aster laevis ‘Climax’
- Aster lateriflorus ‘Bleke Bet’
- Aster lateriflorus ‘Lady in Black’
- Aster lateriflorus ‘White Lovely’
- Aster macrophyllus ‘Twilight’
- Aster novae-angliae ‘Harrington’s Pink’
- Aster novae-angliae ‘Purple Dome’
- Aster novi-belgii ‘Blue Danube’
- Aster novi-belgii ‘White Climax’
- Aster oblongifolius ‘Dream of Beauty’
- Aster oblongifolius ‘October Skies’
- Aster oblongifolius ‘Raydon’s Favorite’
- Aster ‘Ochtendgloren’
- Aster pyrenaeus ‘Lutetia’
- Aster tataricus ‘Jindai’
- Aster turbinellus
- Aster umbellatus