A diverse genus comprised of nearly 1000 species, most Carex originate in the moist habitats of temperate climates. Our graceful selections are easy to grow and promise to soften those hard edges in your garden.
Originally cultivated by Japan’s variegated grass enthusiast, the late Dr. Yokoi, slow spreading ‘Silver Sceptre’ yields bright white margins that are big on sparkle, though the long, arching narrow green blades span a mere 1/8 in. Greenish brown flower spikes lend subtle interest on triangular stems, while the compelling silver-laced foliar accents jazz up containers or massed plantings. Utilized as an obliging evergreen ground cover, ‘Silver Sceptre's refined habit tackles deer, drought and various soil conditions plus heavy shade and cold winters.
Size: 8" – 12" high x 12" – 18" wide.
Hardy to zone 5.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Carex albula ‘Frosted Curls’
- Carex conica ‘Snowline’
- Carex divulsa
- Carex dolichostachya ‘Kaga Nishiki’
- Carex elata ‘Aurea’
- Carex elata ‘Knightshayes’
- Carex flacca (glauca)
- Carex flacca ‘Burton’s Blue’
- Carex flagellifera (Bronze)
- Carex morrowii ‘Ice Dance’
- Carex morrowii var. temnolepis ‘Silk Tassel’
- Carex muskingumensis ‘Little Midge’
- Carex muskingumensis ‘Oehme’
- Carex oshimensis ‘Evergold’
- Carex oshimensis ‘Gold Strike’
- Carex pensylvanica
- Carex tenuiculmis
- Carex testacea
- Carex texensis