Innovative landscape architect Wolfgang Oehme, who has included more than a million ornamental grasses in his designs since 1975, considers Molinias to be some of the very best performers of them all. Certainly the most kinetically exciting grass, Molinia’s sturdy stems hold the delicate, straw-colored panicles all season above dense, arching tufts of deep green foliage. To heighten the drama, give them plenty of room and a dark background.
The cultivar name translates to “enduring ray” for the long-lasting beauty this fine textured grass bestows upon the garden. Prancing above robust low growing tufts of emerald-green foliage, stiff mostly upright divergent stems showcase elegant panicles with slim dark purple spikelets. ‘Dauerstrahl’ is second-to-none as a container specimen or as a mixed border component, adding late season allure when bright buttery yellow hues transform its blades and flowering stalks.
Size: 3' 0" – 4' 0" high x 2' 0" – 2-1/2' wide.
Hardy to zone 4.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Bergfreund’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Cordoba’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Karl Foerster’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Skyracer’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Staefa’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Heidebraut’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Moorflamme’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Strahlenquelle’
- Molinia caerulea ‘Moorhexe’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Transparent’
- Molinia litoralis ‘Windspiel’