Orange New Zealand Sedge
A diverse genus comprised of nearly 1000 species, most Carex originate in the moist habitats of temperate climates. Easily grown, our winning selections produce a variety of different colored leaves that promise to soften those sharp edges in your garden.
The exotic look of lucent orange foliage paints the garden’s verdant canvas nearly year round. Long, fine textured strands first emerge an olive-green and later transmute stunning golden brown, copper and orange highlights. With its upright and dense arching tuft, easy-to-grow Carex testacea is a hardy, drought tolerant grass that entices gardeners, but not deer, insisting on full sun to preserve the extraordinary hues, and good drainage.
Let this evergreen New Zealand native spill over a container’s edge or cozy up to Yucca ‘Garland’s Gold’, Heuchera ‘Obsidian’ and Euphorbia myrsinites.
Size: 18" – 2' 0" high x 18" wide.
Hardy to zone 6.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Carex albula ‘Frosted Curls’
- Carex conica ‘Snowline’
- Carex divulsa
- Carex dolichostachya ‘Kaga Nishiki’
- Carex elata ‘Aurea’
- Carex elata ‘Knightshayes’
- Carex flacca (glauca)
- Carex flacca ‘Burton’s Blue’
- Carex flagellifera (Bronze)
- Carex morrowii ‘Ice Dance’
- Carex morrowii var. temnolepis ‘Silk Tassel’
- Carex muskingumensis ‘Little Midge’
- Carex muskingumensis ‘Oehme’
- Carex oshimensis ‘Evergold’
- Carex oshimensis ‘Gold Strike’
- Carex pensylvanica
- Carex scaposa
- Carex ‘Silver Sceptre’
- Carex tenuiculmis
- Carex texensis