Innovative landscape architect Wolfgang Oehme, who has included more than a million ornamental grasses in his designs since 1975, considers Molinias to be some of the very best performers of them all. Certainly the most kinetically exciting grass, Molinia’s sturdy stems hold the delicate, straw-colored panicles all season above dense, arching tufts of deep green foliage. To heighten the drama, give them plenty of room and a dark background.
AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER 2018
This easily maintained cool season grass strikes a formal straight-up stance as its tidy narrow shaft of taut slim green blades presents unbowed needle-thin flower stems. The spiky gossamer-like open panicles yield dark purple inflorescences and plum brown seed heads, a stunning complement to the saffron-hued autumn foliar tones. Second-to-none for seaside or prairie schemes, a border, rockery or gravel garden, ‘Moorhexe’s compelling vertical silhouette effectively offsets lower growing plants like Sanguisorba 'Tanna' and Aster ‘Dream of Beauty’.
Size: 2' 0" – 3' 0" high x 18" wide.
Hardy to zone 4.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Bergfreund’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Cordoba’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Karl Foerster’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Skyracer’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Staefa’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Heidebraut’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Moorflamme’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Strahlenquelle’
- Molinia caerulea ‘Dauerstrahl’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Transparent’
- Molinia litoralis ‘Windspiel’