Innovative landscape architect Wolfgang Oehme, who included more than a million ornamental grasses in his designs, considered Molinias to be some of the very best performers of them all. Certainly the most kinetically exciting grass, Molinia’s dense arching tufts of deep green foliage offer sturdy stems holding delicate panicles that eventually age to a straw color and last for months. To heighten the drama, consider providing them with plenty of room and a dark background.
AVAILABLE MAY 2019
When sunlight and moisture settle on ‘Transparent’s sheer, soft floral haze, umpteen loosely spaced tiny purple seed heads evoke an exquisite piece of frozen lace. The low, well-groomed mound of ribbon-like green blades gives way to tall, ultrafine arching stalks plus aptly named, unbranched inflorescences that linger high above the leaves. Swayed by the slightest breeze, this easily grown Molinia’s flowers furnish a sophisticated purple-tinged transparency near summer’s end, while golden tones imbue the entire plant when cooler nights arrive. It can be massed in a naturalized setting or reside midborder with Vernonia ‘Iron Butterfly’, Aster turbinellus and Achillea ‘Marmalade’ nearby.
Size: 5' 0" – 8' 0" high x 4' 0" – 3' 0" wide.
Hardy to zone 5.
Please fill out our Registration Form to receive news of updates to the web site, availability of new plants, give us your feedback, and to be on the mailing list to receive future printed catalogs.
Other selections in this genus:
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Bergfreund’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Cordoba’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Karl Foerster’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Skyracer’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. arundinacea ‘Staefa’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Heidebraut’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Moorflamme’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Strahlenquelle’
- Molinia caerulea ‘Dauerstrahl’
- Molinia caerulea ‘Moorhexe’
- Molinia caerulea ssp. caerulea ‘Purple Infusion’
- Molinia litoralis ‘Windspiel’